Thursday 12 July 2012

The Rocks, Australian Steamship Navigation Company building

The Australian Steamship Navigation Company building (ASNC) is located on the corner of Hickson Road and George Street at The Rocks. This warehouse and office building was designed by William Wardell in the Federation Anglo-Dutch style and completed in 1884. It now features galleries, retail space, restaurants and commercial office space. This is just up the road from the buildings I featured earlier in the week.

12 comments:

  1. I have visited the Australian Steamship Navigation Co building and was very impressed with the modernisation. They tried to stay true to the original architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful building, and it seems a perfect home for its current tenants of galleries, retail, restaurants, etc. I would imagine the interior is equally impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's certainly one of the most impressive buildings in The Rocks precinct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting architecture Jim ... as soon as I saw it I thought of Amsterdam and the buildings along the canals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always liked these buildings, Jim. Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It certainly has been cleaned up nicely since I saw it last in the mid 50's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely building. I had never heard of the Federation Anglo-Dutch style before this. The scalloped points at the top remind me of the old Spanish Missions in the American southwest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rita, the style is quite different for Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful building! Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice looking building and a beautiful sky. Great capture.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...