Sunday 16 December 2012

The Rocks, Foundation Park

Foundation Park is located between Gloucester Walk and Playfair Terrace at the Rocks. It features the ruins of houses that were built into a sandstone cliff face from 1874 to 1878. The narrow multi-level houses had been demolished by the 1940s and became a small park in 1972. After archaeological excavation in the 1990s, parts of the original dwellings were brought back to life with low dividing walls and steel furniture designed by sculptor Peter D. Cole. The rooms were no larger than 3 metres by 3 metres which would have been quite cramped with furniture.

10 comments:

  1. Domestic art made public art! Very creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have found some really interesting finds down at the Rocks, Jim. I am enjoying your posts and the stories behind what you have found

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Evening Down Under,

    How's NSW? It seems your rocking to the max with the lovely weather. Sun shining and it's warming the OZ blood vessels.

    I always, envy seeing your great shots! Bring back my old memories while I was in the land down under.

    Hope you a great w/end and a blessed week ahead. If I won't see you, I wish you a Merry Christmas & a Peaceful New Year.

    Greetings from a snowy & freezing Stockholm,
    /Chie at D´Box

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Chie. We're actually having some wild summer weather this year. Among the hot, sunny and blue days, we're having some wild, rainy and windy days. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year too. :)

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful place! I want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos, the furniture adds the human touch to the old buildings, pretty amazing to see how far the region has developed. Thank you for your kind comments on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great find Jim. Love the old graceful Pepper Tree branch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark. I didn't know it was a Pepper Tree. :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...