This stone obelisk stands at Green Point, at the southern end of Camp Cove, in the eastern suburb of Watsons Bay. It was erected in the 1850s, at what was then known as Laings Point, as a navigational marker for early navigation into Port Jackson. Green Point was also the southern end of the cross-harbour boom net extending 1,480 metres to Georges Head, which was built during World War 2. It caught one of the Japanese midget submarines that entered Sydney Harbour in May 1942. A winch was used to open a gate to allow large ships to enter the harbour but all that remains is the concrete floor of the winch room.