Tuesday 30 November 2010

Ultimo, Embassy Conference Centre

The Embassy Conference Centre is a historic building on George Street, in the inner city suburb of Ultimo. Designed by Varney Parkes, the son of Sir Henry Parkes, it was originally built as a branch of the Bank of New South Wales in 1894. The Federation Romanesque design of the facade reflects the boom period of the late 1800s. A gold smelting and assaying department, established at this Railway Square branch in 1915, provided the best facilities for the treatment of gold coming from mines in Australia and New Guinea. It is now a venue for hire for meetings, seminars and conferences.

11 comments:

  1. I have stood waiting for those lights sooo many times, never quite brave/stupid enough to challenge the Harris Street traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, yes, it is a very busy intersection. Not easy to find a break in the traffic or pedesraians to photograph either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks as if stands 'larger than life'; an impressive building indeed. Please have a good Tuesday.


    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magnificent building and a terrific capture as always. I always appreciate and enjoy the history/background of the subject of your posts. Makes the photos that more interesting! Have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this aesthetic building from an other time. Lovely warm colour and grand deco. I also understand that we live in a different era and use different materials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive building. I don't think I have heard the phrase Federal Romanesque before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the shape of buildings on corners such as this one. But I do wonder what the rooms on the corner look like from the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cool, ol' bank building! Love the fancy Nancy architectural details!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh, er, I'll happily take that little building for a Summer house :P
    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really a magnificent historic building. Perfect shot as usually!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I lived in Ultimo I always liked that building, something about the colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...