Wednesday 14 May 2014

Darling Harbour, Viking vessel, Jorgen Jorgensen

The Jorgen Jorgensen was moored at the Australian National Maritime Museum at Darling Harbour for a recent Vikings exhibition. It was built and launched in Perth, Australia in 1987 as a reconstruction of the 9th century Gokstad Viking ship. The ship was named after the Danish adventurer Jorgen Jorgenson (1780-1841) who was transported as a convict to Tasmania and led a colourful life in colonial Australia in the early 1800s.

14 comments:

  1. What a cool ship! Thanks for the blog visit and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking a bit about the Vikings recently and would loved to have seen the exhibition at the Australian National Maritime Museum at Darling Harbour. What a perfect setting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful ship. Wonderful shot and composition too.
    www.1sthappyfamily.com/2014/05/benefits-of-wuluh-starfruit.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just about hear the Vikings clanging around that deck Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, really cool!

    Jocelyn @ http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the composition of this photo. Love it! Thanks in joining Water World Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I hope to get out your way sometime in the near future and see these things for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am watching a series on TV called Vikings. I love that period of history. I would have loved to have seen this boat in person. Coming over to visit you from Friday My Town Shoot Out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching Vikings too and really enjoying it.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a message. Jim.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...